Skip to main content
ICI Pension Fund home page
Text size small textmedium text large textSitemap


In this section

Welcome to the area of the website for deferred members of the ICI Section of the Fund

As a deferred member, you are no longer working for a contributing employer but have left your benefits in the ICI Pension Fund (the Fund). On your retirement you will receive benefits from the Fund or benefits may be payable to your dependants on your death. These are called ‘deferred benefits’.

View your pension online

You can see details of your pension online through electronic pensions administration (ePA). On ePA you can view:

  • the current value of your deferred benefits;
  • our records of your deferred benefit history;
  • your transfer-in summary; and
  • your personal data held by the Fund.
Log into ePA

You should be able to access this information about your benefits, all day, every day, without having to speak to the Helpline.

You will have been sent a personal User ID and password, which you will need to access ePA.

If you have lost or forgotten your User ID PDF - This link will open in a new browser windowor password, please contact ICI Pensions Services.

Find out more about what you can do on ePA by downloading the ePA guide.

Keeping us up to date

Keeping us up to date with any changes to your personal circumstances helps us pay you and your dependants the right benefits. It also means that should anything happen to you, your wishes are understood by the Trustee.

  • You should contact us if you notice that any of your personal details are incorrect – contact ICI Pensions Services
  • change your name – complete the Change of personal details form and provide relevant official documentation supporting your change of name (e.g. original marriage certificate, certificate of civil partnership or deed poll documentation – these will be returned to you by special delivery).
  • change your marital or civil partnership status – complete the Change of personal details form and provide your original marriage certificate, certificate of civil partnership or decree absolute (this will be returned to you by special delivery). Your marital status will only be changed once ICI Pensions Services see an original copy of your certificate.

Once you’ve completed any form, please return a signed, hard copy by post to ICI Pensions Services.

The Trustee takes the security of your personal information very seriously. Therefore we require any changes to your personal details in writing with your signature to help protect you from fraud. Please note the ICI Pensions Services team will never ask you to confirm changes to your personal information over the phone or by email.

Approaching retirement

You will be entitled to receive your pension from your normal retirement age. A retirement pension quotation will usually be sent to you six months before your normal retirement age.

When you come to retire you may also have an opportunity to exchange some of your pension for a cash lump sum, which is also referred to as the Pension Commencement Lump Sum (PCLS). Please consider this carefully as you will only be offered this option as you retire – once you have started to receive your pension it is not possible to choose a lump sum, nor is it possible to change the value of your lump sum.

Draw your pension early

If you are age 50 or over, you can usually draw your pension early. To get an estimate of what you could expect to receive at retirement, taking into account your earlier pension start date please contact ICI Pensions Services. You may request up to two free quotes within a twelve-month period (there will be a charge for additional quotes).

Draw your pension late

You can start to take your pension benefits after your normal retirement age, if you wish to do so. You should contact ICI Pensions Services for more information.

Pension increases

You can access information about your pension increases online through ePA

Transferring your pension

Transferring out of the Fund

If you wish to transfer your Fund benefits into another pension arrangement, you should contact ICI Pensions Services.

As you are currently a member of a Defined Benefit (DB) pension arrangement, we strongly advise that you seek independent financial advice before you consider transferring your benefits.

Transferring into the Fund

You cannot transfer your benefits from other pension schemes into the Fund.

What happens to your pension if your marriage or civil partnership dissolves?

If you are a member whose marriage or civil partnership is being dissolved, your pension settlements and entitlements are generally handled through the courts. The following steps normally happen in relation to your pension:

  1. You should ask ICI Pensions Services for a transfer value, which shows what benefits you’re entitled to from the Fund at that point. You can provide this transfer value to the court.
  2. The court will determine the proportion of pension benefits, if any, that will be awarded to your ex-spouse or ex-civil partner. This is detailed in a Court Order.

Note: the Trustee cannot take into account any interim or informal financial arrangements in respect of your pension benefits that are not detailed in a Court Order.

  1. You should send the Court Order to ICI Pensions Services.
  2. ICI Pensions Services will act upon the Court Order instruction and liaise with your ex-spouse or ex-civil partner about their proportion of the benefits.
  3. ICI Pensions Services will then provide you with details of your new entitlement from the Fund.

Note: there are administration charges for carrying out this process – ask for a copy of charges from ICI Pensions Services.

Death whilst a deferred member

Planning for what happens to your pension benefits in the event of your death is not something many of us like to think about. However, you should consider the benefits payable so that your wishes are understood by the Trustee.

If you die while you are a deferred member of the Fund, the benefits that may be payable can include:

  • A spouse’s or civil partner’s pension; or
  • A refund of contributions as a lump sum; and
  • In some instances, children’s pensions.

Points to note about benefits that may be payable on the death of a member:

  • If you are married or in a civil partnership at the time of your death, your spouse or civil partner will usually be entitled to a pension based on your pension entitlement.
  • If your spouse or civil partner is more than 15 years younger than you, any pension payable to your spouse or civil partner may be reduced at the discretion of the Trustee.
  • Dependant children will automatically be considered for a pension on your death.
  • If you are not married or in a civil partnership but have a partner, or someone who is financially dependent on you, they may still be able to obtain a nominated dependant’s pension. However, this is not payable automatically and will depend on the particular circumstances and is subject to Trustee discretion. The Trustee will also refer to the information provided on the completed Nominated Dependant’s pension – Nomination form.
  • A lump sum may also be payable to your dependants at the discretion of the Trustee, who will consider the information on your Expression of wish form.

Note: Benefits payable upon your death as a deferred member can vary and there may be other circumstances where the benefits that your spouse/dependant/beneficiary receives are different to those described above.

If you are a relative or a representative of a deceased member, please click here for more information.

Members' handbook - PDF - This link will open in a new browser window

Further information on your pension benefits is available in your Members’ handbook